Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Ottawa to Ota - Part II

Wednesday, August 1st
Tokyo, Japan
6:40 AM

Tokyo has been a whirlwind of activity. I wanted to have more time to check out the city while I was here, but jetlag and the JET orientation conference have made that very difficult.

The amount of information here for us is overwhelming. I’ve managed to fill the remaining space in my suitcase with books, maps, flyers, etc. I’ll have to sort it all out another day.

There hasn’t been too much time for exploring Tokyo. Actually, I should say, I haven’t found too much time for exploring Tokyo. I know some of the other people here have managed to sacrifice sleep and information sessions for adventures in the city. But, I live close enough that I expect to be back soon.

I have managed to do a few things around the hotel in the Shinjuku area. On Monday morning, Sonia and I went out to explore and watch people make their way to work between the various shops and skyscrapers. The people were very well dressed and moved in large groups, quickly along the sidewalks. They came by in hurried waves, eyes averted. The stores, restaurants and pachinko parlors lined streets that almost looked like back allies.

In the evening, I went out with other JETs from my prefecture. We ended up at a 6th floor izakaya (Japanese bar) for nomihodai. Nomihodai is basically an all you can drink or eat type thing. We each paid about $15 CND for all we could drink in two hours (beer, whisky and sours – fruity type drinks), and $10 for all you can eat: salads, fish and beef to grill, pizza, beef patties, tofu, sashimi, shrimp tempura, chicken wings… a real feast.

By the time we were ready to head back to the hotel, it was absolutely pouring rain. The sidewalks were just streaming with water and my sandals turned into little portable puddles strapped to my feet. I purchased my first new belonging in Japan, a clear, plastic umbrella for about $2. It did a good job of keeping my head dry, but not much else as the rain came in sideways.



I capped off my visit to Tokyo last night by taking in a view of the city at night. Lovely and sprawling, there is so much more to explore. I’ll have to come back.

Now, it is time for us all to leave the cocoon that is the Keio Plaza Hotel. I’m off to Gunma to meet my supervisor, board and school officials, and see my new home in Ota.

1 comment:

Benny Boi said...

Hi Odelia, I'm a Gunma JET coming into Tokyo on Saturday! Sounds like you're having a busy but genuinely exciting time so far!