Sunday, July 29, 2007

Ottawa to Ota - Part I


Saturday, July 28, 2007
Approximately 8:00 ET
My cat has launched a mini protest to my imminent departure. He’s sprawled on my luggage and is pouting, head on paws. Big eyes looking up at me.
I’ve been up for about an hour getting ready and packing a few last items. I’m pretty much ready to go but relieved to have a little more time to pace my departure.
I missed saying goodbye to Chloe last night. Chloe is the five-year-old girl who lives next door and it was important to me not to disappear on her – one day there, the next in Japan.
Last night had been a marathon packing session. Everything was in piles around the apartment, but arranging things in my bags seemed to take a little more time than I had expected.

Approximately 10:00 ET
We arrive at the airport in Ottawa. Noah helps me with my luggage. Somehow, I manage to keep my bags on the cart for exactly five seconds before the whole load topples over. Otherwise, the check in is very uneventful and I’m pleasantly surprised to find that my suitcases are well below the weight limit (although, it makes me question whether or not I should have brought more teaching supplies and gifts.)
Noah stays with me until it’s time to go through security and head to the gate. I cry. I didn’t mean for it to be a tearful goodbye. It was just so hard to end that hug knowing that I wouldn’t be able to share an embrace with him for at least several months.
I pass through security and see Noah watching me from the glass window above. More tears on my part.

Approximately 11:00 ET
We’ve boarded the first plane and are slowly making our way across the tarmac to the runway.
It ‘s raining. I watch the raindrops streak down the small airplane window; gathering drops and depositing new ones as they fall.
The pilot warns us about turbulence. He says the landing was a bit “rippled.”

12:05 ET
The plane makes a very shaky landing at Pearson Airport in Toronto. I become overwhelming nauseous.
I remember the pilot said we would be in Toronto at noon, right on time. What’s with these extra minutes of jiggling torture? The pair behind me decides to talk about their favourite breakfast sandwiches: bacon, cheese, eggs… I don’t see a barf bag.
Somehow we land without incident. There’s just enough time to find lunch and make a few phone calls before our next flight.

16:06 ET
Our departure was delayed by about half an hour. But we’re now on our way and I’ve settled into my little spot on the plane. I have an aisle seat. Normally, I prefer to be by the window, but I feel surprisingly liberated next to the aisle and have already taken advantage of the situation by taking a quick opportunity to visit with Sonia just a few seats up.
The seat next to me is empty so I am able to spread and stretch out a bit. I’m traveling in relative comfort on a new 777 jet. Each passenger has his or her own screen for videos and there are 22 movies to choose from, plus television shows and other features.
Relaxed and at ease, my eyelids are already feeling heavy.
I’m not sure if it’s lunch or dinner, but I can smell it coming.

22:05 ET
I think we’re somewhere over Siberia and I’m tired. About 5 more hours to go. More than 50 per cent of the flight is over and done with and so far it’s been easy – a short nap, hours chatting, plenty of snacks, and I even survived a trip to the bathroom (I hate airplane bathrooms – they’re dirty, cramped little spaces with toilettes that could suck your clothes right off when flushed.)
Some of the other JETs seem to be on a bit of a drinking marathon. And, lucky me, the party’s HQ is the row just to my left and it has spilled out into the aisle. It’s amusing enough, but noisy and I’m worried that someone will start a vomit chain reaction (if someone pukes near me, I’ll barf and it will just get worse from there.
Too bad I didn’t pack earplugs.
Oh no, a wine “chug off “ challenge has just been issued.
Are we there yet?

Sunday, July 29, 2007
01:35 ET (14:35 Tokyo time)
The drinking subsided about an hour after the chug challenge. Not so much by choice, but rather because the attendants decided some people needed to be cut off.
I slept a little and it was mostly fitful. Even with the extra seat, it was very difficult to find a comfortable position and there was a constant din of noise. Or, maybe it was the fact that our plane has quite successfully been chasing the sun: constant mid-daylight outside the windows.
We don’t have much further to go now. The crew announced that a third meal was about to be served and that we would be landing shortly after that. Breakfast? No, chicken.

22:48 Tokyo time
I’m ready to fall over. But, before I do, I just wanted to say, I’m in Tokyo! Mostly just checking out the hotel so far. It’s raining here and the rain and thunder make it a little less tempting to walk around. Sonia and I made an attempt to find a sky view of the city and a snack, but failed on both accounts. More than anything right now, I just want to sleep.

No comments: