Sunday, July 8, 2007

Inaugural Message

Ouch! My left arm is still aching. Who knew international travel includes so many visits with doctors? Thursday was the visit to the travel medical clinic and I ended up with a series of three injections. The doctor was very equitable and made sure each arm got at least one stab. I think for one, she may have used a drill bit instead of a syringe. I could have had a few more, but I decided not to be greedy.

So, welcome to my blog – my space to share the experience of
Japan. I’m so glad you’ve decided to come along for the ride. I’ll try to keep it interesting (but, I make no promises.)

I guess I should start and the beginning, this being my first post and all. And, in conversations with friends and family (heck, even total strangers – I’ve been broadcasting my impending trip for several weeks now), I’ve discovered that there are a few basic questions people ask right off the bat. I’ll begin with the obvious and you can feel free to add to the list.

Why are you going to
Japan?
Because, it’s seems like a good way to grow and explore, both professionally and as an individual. It’s been a dream of mine for more than 15 years and I was getting a little tired of crossing things off my dream list without even making an attempt.


Why Japan in particular?
I’ve hear great things about the place; fascinating things about the culture, the food, the geography, and the people. I really want to go somewhere totally different from home and far, far away. I want somewhere safe and pleasant. And, as far as I can tell right now, the
JET Programme is fantastic. Lots of help along the way with things like travel plans, training, employment, pay, housing. In a way, I’m not really going all alone. I’m going on my own, but with a wonderful support system to back me up. I also like that I’ll be working for the public school system in Japan instead of private companies.
My sister was a JET several years ago. She loved it and since then, my family has developed a bit of a connection with Nihon.

Why now?
Hmm… Good question, actually. I know this is the kind of adventure that people usually pursue right after university and I’m painfully aware that I’m older than many of my counterparts. I guess the answer is, to quote an old Rabbi, “if not now, when?” This is something I’ve wanted to do for years, but the timing was never right. The timing still isn’t perfect, but I don’t see any possible moment in the future when it could improve. As a young journalist, I’ve spent the last number of years freelancing and bouncing between contracts – i.e. I’m not walking away from a permanent job, pension, etc. I’m not married. I don’t have a mortgage. At the same time, I feel a strong desire to take a big step back from all that I do have right now. I need to examine things from a distance and learn more about the world and myself.


How long are you going for?
The plan right now, is for just one year. I expect to return to
Canada in August or September of 2008.

Where will you be living?
Ota! It’s a small city about 100 km north of
Tokyo (about an hour and a half from centre to centre.) It’s located in the eastern part of a prefecture call Gunma, which I understand is a hidden gem, not yet extolled by the guidebook writers. The population is about 200,000 or so. I’ve seen some conflicting numbers, so I’m not sure about the size. I hear it’s a relatively international city due to its manufacturing sector. I am told there are sizable South Asian and Brazilian communities there.
My actual home? Well, that’s turned out to be a bit of a long story. But, if all goes as planned, I’ll have a small two bedroom house near the school where I’ll be working. I understood something about a hillside and a river with koi fish. I think the homes are a little on the old side and most of the neighbours are either other English teachers or elderly Japanese people. Oh, and two of the rooms have tatami mats. Yay! I’m not sure how much other stuff I’ll have, and how much I’ll be left to acquire.

What age group will you teach?
I’ve been posted at an all girls senior high school. I will be teaching the equivalent of grades 10 and 11 at a very academic school four days a week. On Fridays, I’m posted at another high school in the area that I know very little about. I’m thinking the powers that be must think my age and journalism background might be positive factors for working with an older and more academic group of students. I’m already dreading the tricky grammar questions.

Is Noah going with you?
Nope. He’s got another, final year of school to finish off while I’m away. He thought about applying years ago but decided not to. It’s become obvious to me that if this is something I want to do, I’ll have to go it alone. I’ve always been drawn to travel and I’d love to do more work internationally. This is who I am and if it means Noah and I will be apart for a while, I’ve decided it’s something that’s essential to my happiness in the long run.
I’m hoping Noah will come to visit me. He’s already talking about a possible trip in January.

Are you excited?
Yes.

Are you nervous?
Yes.

Do you know any Japanese?
Hai! (Yes.) Okay, not really. But I’m learning a little here and there and already practicing my self introduction. Watashi wa Odelia desu.

I know, not the most exciting first post. But, it’ll ramp up from here. I promise. As my departure date draws nearer, I’ll have an ever increasing list of anxieties, etc. to share. I just couldn’t bare to look at an empty blog any longer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a pleasure to see one of your dreams becoming a reality, Odelia! This blog is a great way to chronicle your adventures ... I look forward to more words from you.

Best,

Sonia