Friday, July 27, 2007

Less than 48 hours to go…

I’m an absolute, total bundle of nerves right now. My skin is pins and needles, my tummy is churning, my palms are sweaty, and I’m feeling consistently, slightly dazed.

I’m walking around in a fog today. So much to do, and yet everything seems twice as hard as it should be. And I’m not with it the way I should be. I went for a hair cut this afternoon and only realized I had followed the wrong woman to the back of the salon when she turned to me and asked me to please remove my pants. In the end, I did find my way to the hairdresser’s chair and I even remembered to pay before I left.

People have told me they think I’m brave to pack up and head to Japan for a year. Up until now, I’ve disagreed with them. ‘Til now, it was easy; just lists to make and complete. But now that I’m almost on the plane, I’m feeling scared and inexplicitly sad. In fact, I feel a little like the way I remember feeling before undergoing oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth – I’m nervous about what this will all feel like, worried about being able to put my trust in others for my well being, and hoping I make it through feeling stronger than before the whole procedure.

I think I’ll be fine, especially if I remember to keep breathing.

No comments: