Monday, August 13, 2007

The Marvelous and The Mundane

I had a wonderful weekend, thanks for asking.

Friday was a good start with an adventure to Maebashi and a chance to meet some new people, maybe even make some new friends here in Japan.

Saturday was a chance to sleep in a bit and then tucker myself out all over again at a festival in Isesaki. It was a fascinating mix of modern and traditional Japan.




















I documented this adventure with my point-and-shoot digital camera, which makes the pictures perfect for sharing (click here).

Today? Today was home day. I did laundry, aired out my futon, and did some cooking and tidying. Oh, and I went out on a scavenger hunt to find that elusive telephone. Success! I located a used one at a nearby shop. The woman wanted $30 for it and basically told me that she wasn’t sure if it would work. I left that as a possible plan B and jumped back on my bike. About an hour later I was at an electronics store. In the fax and telephone department, buried under all the hundred-dollar cordless phones, I found a flyer for a simple little telephone. I used the picture on the flyer to tell the woman behind the cash what I was looking for and she managed to locate the thing for me. Yippee! I plugged in my VOIP line and it seems to work just find.


Sorry, the picture is backwards. That’s an “Excellent Phone.”

The other thing I did today was purchase a $20 futon to put under the one I’m already using. I carried it home about 5 blocks on my head. My bed is so much softer now. And, my home is far homier too. I found a couple of plants and a few postcards for artwork. I’m thinking of investing in a $29 vacuum I found on sale at the nearby home store too. Maybe tomorrow.

The day was so good, in fact, that I thought I would give takoyaki another try. It was better, but still not yummy this time around.

P.S. You can also check out another album (click here) I posted. There are lots of shots of the old house in this one.

No comments: