Friday, August 10, 2007

Soaking it all in…


I can’t believe how drenched I got. The only times I’ve possibly ever been wetter would be in the shower or a swimming pool. And, in those situations I am usually not riding a bike in my dress clothes.

I heard the rain as soon as I stepped out of the train station in Ota. It was torrential for most of the twenty minutes it took me to get home. Well, until I was just two blocks from my apartment – then it let up and turned into a gentle shower. My clothes are now hanging to dry and the contents of my bag are spread across the floor of my apartment airing out. I think the cell phone and camera will be okay, but my passport will never be the same.

Today was the official swearing in ceremony for the high school Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) in Gunma and I made my way to the prefectural capital all on my own by train. It was a good day. I survived my Japanese self-introduction in front of an audience, saw some of the city, ate good food and met some wonderful people.

Generally, I’ve been busy getting settled into my new life in Japan. There is so much to learn and so much to do. I recall some crazy talk about August being a slow, even boring, time for JET (ALTs) because of the summer break. I don’t buy it. I have no shortage of things to do and prepare at school and setting up a new home/life takes a lot of work.

My new home is coming along. I’ve managed to buy a few necessities and even borrow a few things from others. Some of the teachers I work with have lent me an iron for the year and a rice cooker (there was some concern about the rice cooker being so old fashioned but I prefer it because it works just like the one I have at home in Canada.) I even have a futon and blanket on loan from the school.

Obtaining some things has proven to be quite the challenge. In particular, a phone and a knife. In terms of a phone, I can’t seem to find just an old, regular phone that plugs into the wall. I’m not asking for much, just something simple that I can use to set up a VOIP line at a decent price. I found one model at a mall in Ota, but it was sold out. A good, little kitchen knife for cheap was hard to find too. I finally managed to track one down at the grocery store for about $10.50. For that price, I could have bought a whole set from Ikea in Canada. It better slice and dice like a dream.

I’m heading out more on my bike now. I am taking little adventures and trying to get to know the neighbourhood and city where I live. I’ve found a great looking sushi place, some Italian restaurants, a couple of discount shops, a craft store, grocery store, dry cleaners, etc. All things I might need to live comfortably.

And, I’m attempting to learn the culinary side of things too. For example, I’ve discovered that I like agar noodles and other things seaweed, and that I’m not really that into takoyaki (the octopus is yummy, but the dough and mayo are just too greasy for me.)

Tomorrow will be the first morning I am allowing myself to sleep in. It will be a busy afternoon and I’m hoping to take in a couple of festivals in the centre of Gunma. Still getting my feet wet ya know.

No comments: