Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tokyo!

Well, I’m busy, but not that busy. And I’m craving adventure. So, on Sunday I got up, found the train information, and hopped a ride in to Tokyo for the first time on my own.

Tokyo is huge, so first thing I did was search through the pages of the guidebook my sister gave me as a parting gift to find an area of interest. And, wouldn’t you know it, Asakusa was just 80 minutes and one direct train ride away.

Ah, but if only it were that simple. It is one EXPRESS train ride to Asakusa, Tokyo. I hopped on the cushy car with a simple commuter ticket, which was about half the price. Near the end of the ride, I was made to fess, and pay, up. Luckily for me they don’t fine people here, just make you top up.


Asakusa is an area of Tokyo centered around a large Shinto shrine and temple. Tourist shops selling a variety of trinkets abound, as does the sweet smell of sugar from the many food stalls. A feast for the senses.


This was my first time to a Shinto temple and it was fascinating, particularly in the way so many rituals seem similar to those of other religious and spiritual practices around the world. Before entering, worshipers cover themselves with smoke from burning incenses, similar to smudging (First Nations). They wash their hands carefully (Jewish), and toss in their coin donations at the entrance (Christian). At the inner most part of the temple, people pray contemplatively after removing their shoes (Muslim). Practices so different, and yet so familiar. If I only knew more about world religions or the Shinto faith, I am sure there are even more commonalities.


I toured more of the area which revealed a small amusement park tucked back amongst the side streets, a whole street full of shops catering to restaurants and the culinary minded (a favourite of Natalie’s, perhaps?), and very unique building belonging to the Asahi Brewery Company that’s meant to resemble a tall glass of beer.


Pictures tell the story far better than I can at this hour. Click here for photos.

At 6:30 I got back on the train for Ota. This time, I decided to take the peasant’s way via local trains. With a stop at every station along the way and a switch in Tatebayashi, it took more than two and a half hours from station to station. I think I’ll stick to the plush ride from now on. I just need to figure out how to reserve, and pay for, a proper ticket.

No comments: