Monday, August 13, 2007

Kaji da!

That’s “fire!” in Japanese. It’s usually good to find a situation in which to apply a newly learned word. But, not always.

I had a bit of a scare tonight. A big, bright, flaming hot scare just a few houses down the street.

One of the nice things about my apartment is that when I close the doors and window, it’s pretty airtight. But, it also means I’m a bit disconnected from the real world just beyond. Until it starts blaring at me that is. And that’s what happened tonight. I was just getting set to answer a letter and do some writing when I notice that there is a ceaseless din of sirens outside.

I open my front door and realize that the emergency is basically happening right in front of me, around me, everywhere. There’s a large fire burning at the end of the street just a few houses in front of me. Hmmm, interesting. Okay. I stare, I get my camera. I go back inside.


I’m nervous. I take another peek outside my door just in time to spot a huge fireball erupt into the sky just a few doors down. The battle is raging. And, from where I stand it looks as if the firefighters are loosing. So, I panic a little. I try to phone home. No answer. I call my prefectural advisor almost just because I need to talk to someone. It’s hard enough to deal with an emergency. It’s down right scary when you don’t speak the language, don’t know the area, and aren’t sure where you might be able to sleep if your home gets swallowed by flames (yes, a little extreme, but that’s where my mind was at the time.)

Just in case, I pack up my laptop, important papers and a clean pair of underwear and head out, locking the door to my apartment. I think it might be like that waiting for the pot to boil kind of thing, because just as I make my escape, it seems the flames are being brought under control.


I phone my kyoto-sensei (vice-principal) just to let him know I’m okay incase he’s heard something on the radio or whatever. This is a mistake because apparently he tries to drive to my place (which is impossible because every side street around me is closed off.)




Every fire hydrant for blocks is hooked up to giant hoses. I count at least five. Some of the firefighters are dressed in these wild aluminum-foil looking suits. One of them walks by me and looks like he’s about to fall over. He’s pulling off a boot as he walks.

People have poured into the streets and are gawking (myself included.) Kids are out in their pajamas, some even loaded into cars ready to make a quick getaway. But, by now, the orange flames seem to be gone. The black sky is filling with smoke.

I head home and to bed.

Even as I write this, there are some announcements being made in Japanese. I have no idea what’s being said, but as long as the flames are out, I’m okay.

I’ll post some after shots tomorrow.

No comments: