Sunday, March 2, 2008

A pain in the mouth

Ah, relief, mixed with confusion, mixed with fatigue.

I finally made it all the way to Takasaki yesterday to see the dentist. I was up at a good hour, rode my bike in the sunshine and didn’t get lost on my walk from the station to her office.

The dentist was friendly, professional and quick. Cheap too. It was less than my last appointment.

On arrival, I explained the cracked tooth situation and how the filling came out, etc. and relayed the advice of my dentist. What was strange is the fact that she seemed reluctant to do anything. I had to tell her several times that it hurts when I eat before she decided to fill something with the recommended filler. I found this odd because my dentist at home seemed to think a cracked tooth is pretty serious business and warned me to take action in order to avoid a root canal.

The dentist here explained that the crack was very small and on the corner of my tooth… again strange because I was told it was a risk of splitting to the nerve, no just resulting in a little chip off the side.

I was told to be careful. Apparently, without drilling a deeper hole, which she didn’t want to do because she didn’t want to remove any of my enamel, the filling is just, kinda resting there. Hmm, so maybe this is why the last one fell out after all and it had nothing to do with the quality of the work. Could it have been my fault over-doing the flossing?

The other thing is, and it will take a few days for me to decide if it was just my imagination or not, my tooth may have hurt just the tiniest little bit when I was eating breakfast this morning. Just a mini pinch.

But, you know what? Regardless, I have had enough with dentists here. I am giving up. It’s simply too difficult to try and communicate about this. So, whether it’s the actual crack that was looked after, or some wee chip on the side, I don’t care… along as most of me gets home in one piece.

So, I went with friends to Kawagoe today. It’s a city famous for it’s candy. Take that teeth!

Click here for photos from my trip to Kawagoe and other spring outings.

No comments: