Sunday, January 27, 2008

Last goodbye

It was understood that Aron didn’t have much time left. He was very old and frail. Yet, knowing how much power and strength and resilience he had possessed, part of me felt as if he just might outlive us all. Still, it was understood. And I knew, when I went to say my goodbye in July that it likely would be my last.

I knew this but I decided to leave for Japan all the same. How could I pass up the opportunity I had dreamed about? How could I stay where I was so unhappy? It was an unhappiness I know he understood. He knew I loved I him. I knew I could make him smile, even laugh.

I remember the first time I met him. Noah and I went to Florida and stayed with his grandparents in a beachside condo for two weeks. He came to greet us with one of the biggest smiles I had ever seen. He took our luggage from our hands and hauled it into the apartment. He had so much energy and so much love to share.

It was Saturday morning when I learned Aron Lander had passed away. I was on the train to Tokyo. I already missed him. I always will.

No comments: