Sunday, December 16, 2007

I ♥ Hong Kong


If I were a billionaire, I would buy a condo in Hong Kong. What a fantastic city! Not that I got to really see that much of the place. I only had four days at the end of October to get there, explore, and make my way back home. But, what I saw, I loved.

Early, early on the morning of Saturday, October 20th I headed out to catch a shuttle bus to the airport and meet my parents in Hong Kong. By mid-afternoon I was taxing to the arrival gate. And I swear, the moment we landed I could smell food. Hong Kong is a culinary adventure. There’s so much to do, see, smell and taste.

Our first destination was Victoria Peak. I guess our thinking was the fastest way to take in as much of the city as possible was to get up as high as week could. The setting sun highlighted the hazy view of Hong Kong, the harbour, and Kowloon.



That night we crossed the water to Kowloon in search of a seafood supper and the hustle and bustle of the night market. The things for sale there were touristy and cheap, but the energy was good.


The next morning, we headed out to find a historic synagogue in Hong Kong. It was beautiful, fascinating and worth it’s own story, so I will leave it at that and hopefully get to telling you more about it soon.


Adventures beckoned us in every direction. We choose random adventure and hopped on the first double-decker tram with a destination we didn’t recognize.


We rode until we tired of it and then took the subway back to the ferry port and crossed back to Kowloon for Jade Market shopping, dim sum and incense infused temples.



Dinner and a sunset were enjoyed at a small island fishing village.


Politics and free speech seem alive and well in a Hong Kong under Chinese rule. Dinnertime arguments over politics waft through the air along with the smell of fried fish. The newspapers are full of strongly worded anti-government editorials and even the Falun Dafa practitioners felt comfortable enough to protest.

The next day belonged to Buddha. We woke up early to make our way to one of the biggest Buddha statues in the world. Buddha was beautiful, the chanting from the temple was mesmerizing and the vegetarian lunch one of my all-time favourite meals.



Hong Kong is a fascinating mix. Rich urban, poor rural. Fishermen and businesswomen. Diverse people from around the world. And, lots of English.

On our last night we took a nighttime cruise aboard the Aqua Luna. What a beautiful illuminated and illuminating city.


More pictures here.

No comments: